How can I conserve power in my GPS?
Any type of portable GPS system needs power, so it is important to consider how you plan to power your GPS when during your outdoor activities. Here are some points to keep in mind when you are selecting a portable GPS system:
- Refresh your power: Conserve the batteries in your portable GPS system by putting the system into “sleep” mode while you sleep.
- Count your features: Remember that the more bells and whistles you have on a portable GPS, the more quickly it will use up battery power.
- Recharge: Rechargeable batteries are a good choice for your portable GPS system when you are in the car, but not when you are on the trail. For your hiking and camping trips, use long-lasting lithium or alkaline batteries.
- Check for backups: Make sure you don’t lose your data. Look for a portable GPS system with a built-in backup battery. Your GPS manufacturer can access this battery and rescue your data.
- Plan your power needs: If you have an idea of how far you can go on one battery, plan accordingly, and bring a few more batteries than you think you will need.